Truong Tien Bridge

Truong Tien Bridge

Thua Thien Hue, Vietnam
(Average 0 of 0 Ratings)
  • place-img
place-img

Truong Tien Bridge also called Trang Tien Bridge crosses the Perfume River in Hue City, Thua Thien Hue Province. This is one of the first bridges built in Indochina according to Western design and construction technique. Hue’s Ancient Bridge Under the reign of King Le Thanh Tong (1460 – 1497), there was the rattan bridge […]

Hotels to Stay

No Destinations Found.

Choose destinations from back-end to show in this section.

Truong Tien Bridge also called Trang Tien Bridge crosses the Perfume River in Hue City, Thua Thien Hue Province. This is one of the first bridges built in Indochina according to Western design and construction technique.

Hue’s Ancient Bridge

Under the reign of King Le Thanh Tong (1460 – 1497), there was the rattan bridge crossing Perfume River. Later, the bridge was rebuilt with wood.

In 1897, the French Resident Superior in the Central Vietnam Lavécque had the bridge rebuilt with steel according to the design of the famous French architect Gustave Eiffel, who designed many architecture works in the world such as Eiffel Tower (France), Statue of Freedom (U.S.A)…

In 1899, the bridge construction was completed and named Thanh Thai (name of Nguyen Dynasty’s King at that time). The bridge was 401.1m long, 6.2m wide and included 6 steel girders in semicircle shape.

In 1904, a fierce storm damaged the bridge. In 1906, the bridge was repaired, the bridge surface was changed to reinforced concrete. In 1907, when King Thanh Thai (1889 – 1907) was exiled to Reunion Island, the French Government had the bridge renamed Clemenceau (name of French Prime Minister during the First World War).

In 1937, under the reign of King Bao Dai (1926 – 1945), the bridge was extended the corridors for bicycles and pedestrians. In the resistance war against the French Colonial and American Empire, the bridge was destroyed many times and remodeled.

After the Southern Liberation and National Reunification (30 April 1975), the bridge was renamed Trang Tien. Until 1991, Trang Tien Bridge was renovated, the balconies on the two sides of the bridge corridors were dismantled, the bridge heart was narrowed to 5.4 m to add banisters. In 2004, the bridge was once again renamed Truong Tien.

Truong Tien Bridge – A Symbol of Hue City

Through many ups and downs during a few existing centuries, especially over the past 100 years, Truong Tien Bridge has become a part of history of the ancient capital land. Although there are many other bridges crossing Huong River, such as Bach Ho, Phu Xuan, Bai Dau… Truong Tien Bridge is still the most typical and a symbol of the romantic city of Hue.

From Hue Festival 2002, Truong Tien Bridge was installed the modern lighting system to appear brightly and fanciful every evening.

Read more

Thua Thien Hue Tours

No Travellers Word

Leave a Review

Write a Review about Truong Tien Bridge

Our Recommendations

Here we are